Skip to main content

Is the course "Applyying Professional Scrum for Software Developers" suitable for QA Analysts

Last post 03:15 pm September 9, 2024 by Daniel Wilhite
6 replies
02:40 pm September 6, 2024

With topics such as pair programming and tdd I'm wondering whether sending my QAs on this course would be beneficial even though it says it would be suitable for "testers" is appropriate or whether a different course would be better. Any comments from people that have attended the course would be helpful.

04:33 pm September 6, 2024

Is it your intention that QAs recognize they are not a subrole, but are Developers and share in that accountability?

04:57 pm September 6, 2024

Our QAs are part of the scrum team, but their role is to assure quality through manual and automated testing. Pair programming and TDD would mean nothing to them because they are not writing program code and do not have the skills to do so.

08:37 pm September 7, 2024

Knowing more about Scrum is an advantage to any QA working in a Scrum Team. Scrum advocates for cross-functional teams, and not silos in separate Dev and QA. If the QA's don't know TDD who is writing the tests for TDD?

Are there better courses, I can't say, but if the developer focussed team members  found the course valuable, then I am sure the QA focussed members will also benefit 

08:48 pm September 7, 2024

I worked as a QA in a Scrum team, and knowing Scrum values and principles are valuable for a QA, actually a must I would say. QA's should take part in TDD and pair programming us a technique also beneficial to QA's, especially QA's working in automation. 

10:50 am September 9, 2024

QA's should absolutely know about Scrum, I'm just questioning the value of a training course that is geared more towards software developers than testers (based on TDD and pair programming being mentioned). TDD is about writing unit tests before the code (red-green-refactor), the software developers write those tests. It is true that some benefit, re pair programming and TDD, would be gained by those QA's writing automation tests.

03:15 pm September 9, 2024

I have a long background in QA.  The course would probably be a good thing for them even if they don't understand everything. It could help them to get a better understanding of the work that the Developers do.  It might also peak some interest from them in learning more about coding.  The pair programming could come in by having a seasoned Developer pair with an interested QA.  Also, even if the QA staff is not versed in development, they are versed in testing.  They can transfer some of that knowledge to the Developers and make them better as well.  

...their role is to assure quality through manual and automated testing.

Unless I am mistaken, automated testing is coding.  So there could be benefit for them with the pair programming topic.  I worked at an organization that adopted a variation of "paired programming" for manual testing.  They would pair up together and do exploratory testing.  Worked very effectively. 

I'd suggest letting a couple of the QA go through the course and then let them discuss it with the rest of the QA group.  Let the group decide if they want to do it as a team.  If nothing else, the QA can use their empirical skills to self organize and make a decision. If that doesn't teach something about Scrum, then I don't know what will. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.