Skip to main content

Do certifications worth more than academic education?

Last post 04:03 am September 20, 2024 by Subhasish Gupta
1 reply
09:31 am September 3, 2024

Recently, I've been involved in a few interviews for some companies and one question popped up my mind: does a certification worths more than my academic education? 

The world is changind rapidly and we see this in how our profession evolves. I 've got my bachelor degree in Information Management back in 2000 but frankly what I learned in college had nothing to do with anything from the present. So from my perspective, my background didn't speak too much to the interviewers as my experience and my latest qualifications/certifications did. Sort of frustration, since I spent 4 years in college and maybe 2-3 months to learn and get a certification. 

Getting back to a Scrum certification, I ask you: have you felt like PSM or PSPO worth today more than your formal education? 

04:03 am September 20, 2024

hi Viorel, Professional Certification is a credential that verifies someone’s knowledge, skills and abilities to perform a specific job. Some Certifications gives us extra credentials and help us getting into the jobs. You are at the right path. Most of the Companies are looking for Scrum Master/Product Owner Certifications for Scrum Master/Product Owner recently.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.