Skip to main content

using scrum for patient safety

Last post 03:16 pm September 3, 2024 by Hatim Mustafa
3 replies
12:13 pm August 29, 2024

Dear All 

Iam medical consultant and iam interested to use scrum for patient  safety , Iam sure scrum will work as most of the patient safety issues arised  from lack of communication . work in silos and authority  gradients 

any one have an experiences or case studies 

thanks 

03:23 pm August 29, 2024

Overcoming silos and scaling meaningful conversations in outpatient care: https://www.scrum.org/resources/how-net-health-scales-scrum-nexus-framework

03:30 pm August 30, 2024

Scrum might work in your situation. But you have given us a very broad category..."patient safety".  That covers a lot of different medical specialties and many patients.  I know of places where Scrum practices have been introduced into medical process.  Personally, I worked with my wife to introduce some practices into a Medical Laboratory at at hospital where she worked.  

I did a simple web search using my favorite search engine for the phrase "scrum for patient safety".  There were many results that briefly discussed it and a couple of links to case studies.  What I found is that many of the links did not take a general approach but focused on specific areas of patient safety/care to improve. You might want to start with that approach so that you can familiarize yourself with the landscape. 

Iam sure scrum will work as most of the patient safety issues arised  from lack of communication . work in silos and authority  gradients 

I also suggest that you read the Scrum Guide (https://scrumguides.org/) and familiarize yourself with the Scrum framework.  The framework works in areas where there are complex problems to solve in order to incrementally improve a Product.  You will need to be able to accurately define the Product and describe the needed improvements.  

Some of the agile practices from the various frameworks and methodologies might be useful to apply and create your own kind of "agility" but again, I feel like that would apply to the specific problems that you are attempting to solve. 

02:03 pm September 3, 2024

thanks a lot for your reply I totally agree with you that scrum is framework and agile is the mind set 

I tried to search with different approach such as psychological culture , medical error and human factor engineering but Unfortunately did not find much 

I appreciate if you can share any aspect of patient safety , based on health sector which characterized by high complex adaptive system and lack of team and communication are common  cause of sentinel events 

thanks again 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.