Skip to main content

Teaching agile methods such as scrum for under-postgraduate students at universities

Last post 10:27 am August 28, 2024 by Hatim Mustafa
3 replies
02:15 pm August 14, 2024

Iam interested in the topic of preparing the university students for being agile from early stage , so I need from you to share your experiences in teaching scrum as core part of curriculum to any faculty , how been taught ,in which year, tools and  assessment and evaluation methods  

thanks 

02:42 pm August 14, 2024

My general advice is to frame it as part of organizational change and to explore it again in the context of innovation, and yet again when developing the professional soft skills a change agent needs. Tools, evaluation, and assessment methods ought to reflect all these dimensions.

When students join a corporate workforce they may find that only lip service is paid to agility, and this can be disconcerting. It is best to set their expectations and to prepare them accordingly.

07:49 pm August 14, 2024

I agree with @Ian.  There is not a single place that agility fits.  It is something that spans many disciplines, processes and needs.  So it should be spread across multiple areas.

I would also suggest that you partner with someone in the Philosophy department and teach them empiricism.  It is the heart of agility in my mind.  It provides the "do something, learn from it, adapt if necessary" mentality that is often missing when an organization tries to be agile. I tool a philosophy elective way back when I was in college.  In that course empiricism was covered for a month.  I learned a lot about it and how it can impact lives.  I found it useful in some of my computer science classes and have used it in my daily life ever since. The more that the students can understand and appreciate empiricism, the easier it will be for them to understand how an organization can introduce and sustain agility in their practices.

10:27 am August 28, 2024

thanks alot with Regards 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.