Skip to main content

Scrum within project teams

Last post 07:31 pm July 2, 2024 by Daniel Wilhite
4 replies
09:09 am June 28, 2024

Do you think this is a good idea?

We're currently planning to implement scrum within project teams.

So we have several project teams including a PO, SM, Developer and tester. Every PO, SM, Developer en tester can be in max 2 project teams. Projects can run simultanously, so that means that you as PO, SM, Developer or tester can be in 2 projects at the same time. 

For every project different teammembers are assigned, so no fixed scrum teams

08:20 pm June 28, 2024

We're currently planning to implement scrum within project teams.

Can you explain why, and what you are hoping to achieve?

In Scrum the most important project is the Sprint. That's the maximum leap-of-faith that ought to be taken before getting an empirical outcome, and each of those projects ought to be conducted as if it were potentially the last.

12:58 pm June 29, 2024

People are not great at context-switching. Evidence shows that working on two or more projects at once decreases productivity. You may think that each project is allocated 50% of a person, but it is less. If your company is okay with that, just go in, eyes wide open, that you're wasting money.

Take a page from the Kanban people, who march to the tune of 'Stop starting and start finishing'. Rather than two projects in flight, start one and finish it before taking on the next.

Also, one of the Scrum values is focus.

12:18 pm June 30, 2024

It's a decision of the Teamleader and lead PO. To me it's not clear why and what they are hoping to achieve, I'm not in favour of it. But that's a good one to ask them.

Valuable answers to me, thanks.

07:31 pm July 2, 2024

Scrum is Product focused, not project focused.  How do your projects align to Products? Is each project done to deliver specific incremental changes to a single specific Product?  If not, then I have a hard time believing that you are "currently planning to implement scrum within project teams".  You may want to use some of the terminology.  You may want to use a few of the practices.  But I don't think you want to implement Scrum.  If the "Teamleader and lead PO" can not effectively express what they hope to gain and how they intended to support the teams in doing the work, they don't fully understand what Scrum is, how it is useful, and why it would benefit them. 

If I were in your organization, I would start asking questions about why. I'd ask for people to explain Scrum to me based upon their understanding in order to understand what they are saying. I'd ask how the management structure will adapt to supporting the teams in their self-organization.  I'd ask how the sales, marketing, support organizations will be adapting to the changes in order to better support the outcomes. Implementing Scrum, or any agile approach, will impact every part of a company and those parts have to be willing to support and understand that. 

You can implement changes that can help you be more able to adapt to changes without having to implement Scrum.  You can implement Scrum with a variety of processes, procedures and organizational alignments.  That is because Scrum is framework that provides guidance or "guard rails".  How you choose to traverse between the "guard rails" is up to you but if you completely ignore them, you aren't implementing Scrum.  Consider this... if you are driving an automobile on a mountain road, staying inside the guard rails provided means you are driving on the road.  But if you choose to ignore them, you are more likely driving (or falling) down the side of the mountain. Yes, you could get to the same location, but you are not benefitting from the safety of the road and the learnings from previous journeys.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.