Skip to main content

Right Sprint Length For Team - Emmanuel Katto

Last post 04:28 pm July 12, 2024 by Surya Prakasa Rao Ayyagari
4 replies
06:52 am June 25, 2024

Hello everyone, I am Emmanuel Katto. I wanted to know what are some general guidelines for determining the optimal sprint length, and are there any best practices for adjusting sprint length based on the specific needs of your team? How have you handled this challenge in your own teams?

Thanks!

Emmanuel Katto

10:27 am June 26, 2024

The factors to consider are:

1.how often we can provide a useful and valuable increment? Can we do this every week, every 2 weeks or once a month ?

2. Another factor you need to consider is your problem space. In a complex problem space, you may need frequent feedback and hence small sprint (1 week duration) will be required.

If you mean adjusting sprint length is having one sprint of 1 week and another of 2 weeks and then going back to one week, this is not allowed. It is best to keep the length constant.

10:46 am June 26, 2024

The optimal Sprint length reflects the speed at which an organization is willing to learn. Typically a balance ends up being struck between the business appetite for receiving Done increments and the ability of the Developers to actually provide them at that rate.

10:53 am June 29, 2024

Hey Emmanuel,

Welcome to the forum! Determining sprint length is a common question for agile teams, and there's definitely some flexibility to find the sweet spot for your crew. Here's how I approach it:

General Guidelines:

• Two weeks is a popular starting point: It offers a good balance between getting things done and receiving regular feedback. This is a safe bet for many teams, especially if you're new to sprints.
  • Stay within the 1-4 week window: The Scrum framework recommends sprints not exceeding a month. Shorter sprints mean faster feedback loops, but too short can feel like overhead with planning and reviews. On the other hand, longer than four weeks can lead to feeling disconnected from the work.

Adjusting for your Team:

• Project Complexity: For intricate projects with dependencies, a longer sprint (3-4 weeks) might be suitable to allow for deep dives into tasks. Simpler projects can thrive on shorter sprints (1-2 weeks) with quicker iterations.
  • Team Dynamics: Some teams gel well with a fast-paced environment of one-week sprints. Others prefer a more measured approach with a two-week cycle. Consider your team's preferences and what rhythm keeps them motivated.
  • Focus on Learning and Adaptability: If rapid experimentation is key, shorter sprints allow for quicker course corrections based on feedback.

Examples from my experience:

In my previous team, we started with two-week sprints for a complex software project. It worked well, but during a retrospective, we identified some bottlenecks. We experimented with one-week sprints for a few iterations, and it helped us streamline our workflow for smaller, more focused tasks.

Remember, it's an ongoing process! Don't be afraid to experiment and adjust sprint length as your project evolves and your team learns what works best for them.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, and feel free to share your experiences as well!

02:07 pm July 12, 2024

Hello Emmanuel Katto,

Hope you are doing well!! 

Here is my views on how to determine Sprint Length: 

Sprint/Iteration length is typically determined collaboratively, with input from the Scrum Team and stakeholders basis on factors: Nature of the product, complexity, organization's or customer's needs and preferences. Successfull Used Iteration length is 2 weeks. However, the choice ultimately depends on what works best for the specific team and project context.

Scrum Master to faciliate the decision meeting with TEAM so Product Owener, Business stakeholders to provide market conditions/customer needs so might helps or influence the sprint length decision.Teams may start with a certain sprint length and then adjust based on experience and feedback during sprint retrospectives.Continuous improvement is a key aspect of Scrum, so the sprint length should be adaptable based on what the team finds most effective.

Common sprint lengths range from 1 to 4 weeks. Most commonly Used Iteration length is 2 weeks

Hope this helps :)  Thank you :)  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.