Skip to main content

User Story Refinement/User Story Workshop

Last post 08:42 pm June 6, 2024 by Thomas Owens
2 replies
11:12 am June 6, 2024

Hello 

I am new to Scrum and Jira, i am looking to become a Scrum Master

In the company i work for the Scrum team have User Story Workshops/Refinement Sessions

Questions.  

1. In terms of the Acceptance Criteria, how does the Product Owner Get these. How can they be sure those are indeed the complete list of Acceptance Criteria 
  2. In terms of the Meeting approach/Mechanics  - How does one know if the Story will need Dev/Testing/Prod Release.  The reason i ask is that they have a standard template for Features and Stories which as standard include Dev/Test Prod etc. But in some case these might not be applicable 

Regards

Rice 

07:27 pm June 6, 2024

It's the Increment being put into use which must be Done. The things you are describing may or may not represent a certain level of Done, but where is the Definition of Done for the whole Sprint Increment? That's what I would advise you to get in order with the Developers. Ultimately they will be accountable for the quality of the work they do.

08:42 pm June 6, 2024

Acceptance Criteria come out of conversations with the stakeholders, often the customers or users of the product being built. The Product Owner is the one who is primarily accountable for managing the Product Backlog and ensuring that the work done by the team is valuable, which often means interacting frequently with stakeholders and understanding their needs and desires. However, it's often less than optimal to have the Product Owner be a gatekeeper between the rest of the Scrum Team and the stakeholders.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can tell you what work a given Product Backlog Item would need to be considered Done. This depends a lot on your context. But I'd keep in mind that the goal is to produce a usable, valuable Increment each Sprint. Since the Product Backlog consists of work needed to improve the product, I suspect most (if not all) will need to be designed, developed, tested, and released or deployed to be valuable to stakeholders.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.