Skip to main content

Sprint Demos how to Plan and Track?

Last post 05:06 pm June 8, 2024 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
10:59 am June 6, 2024

Hello 

I'm new to Scrum and JIRA 

Scenario In a sprint there are 5 Stories. Each have a Demo. I have seen from watching a Scrum Master that he/she doesn't have full control and visibility of when the Demos occur often occurring right at the end 

Question. How can i better plan and Track Demonstrations so they are not at the end, and if they are at the end i can somehow track it so i know its booked for a certain date or not  

Regards

Rice 

07:15 pm June 6, 2024

A Scrum Master is not there to control or track work. What he or she would do is to ensure that Scrum is being implemented well by a self-managing team, including having reviews so the Product Backlog is updated. There may or may not be a demo at all.

08:27 pm June 6, 2024

In the Scrum framework, there is no such thing as a "Sprint Demo" or "Demo". There is a Sprint Review, which is the next to last event in the Sprint and occurs on a regular cadence. This is the opportunity for key stakeholders to inspect the work that the Scrum Team did over the course of the Sprint and adapt the Product Goal and Product Backlog to maximize value.

Although a demo may be a part of a Sprint Review, it doesn't have to be. For example, for software teams practicing continuous deployment, the work that they did in the Sprint may have already been deployed to the production environment and used by stakeholders. There may be no need to demonstrate work that is already being used.

If it's valuable, you don't need to wait for the Sprint Review to get feedback from stakeholders on the work. Getting earlier feedback is often better. Exactly when or how this is done depends on your exact situation. However, even demonstrating and getting feedback closer to work being done doesn't eliminate the need for a Sprint Review.

05:06 pm June 8, 2024

How can i better plan and Track Demonstrations so they are not at the end, and if they are at the end i can somehow track it so i know its booked for a certain date or not  

I suggest you don't do any of this and instead focus on the Sprint Review that is described in the Scrum Guide.  The Scrum Master that you have observed is not doing the role of Scrum Master.  Based on some of the questions you have posted, it might be a good idea for you to read the Scrum Guide. (https://www.scrumguides.org) There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of the Scrum framework in your organization.  As a new Scrum Master, you might be able to help change that.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.